Sestiere “San Polo”

San Polo is located on the right bank of the Grand Canal on the promontory at the Canal’s bend, in the heart of the city.
The sestiere developed from a series of islets along the edge of the Grand Canal.
It was a swampy marshland, drained only from the 10th century. At that time traffic developed in a two-way direction: from San Toma’ to San Silvestro via San Polo and from Rialto to San Cassiano.
In the 11th and 12th centuries the whole area was drained and a wide network of roads and canals was created.
This is the age of Venice’s colonial expansion when splendid churches were erected as well as nobles’ monumental palaces along the Grand Canal (Pisani Moretta, Barbarigo della Terrazza, Grimani of San Polo, etc.).
This sestiere became, with San Marco, the economic and commercial core of the city…
San Polo was the actual commercial center of Venice with the ’emporio realtino’ (the City of the Serenissima Republic) and the main financial magistratures, such as ‘Savi alle Decime’ and ‘Banco Giro’.

Archivio di Stato

An ancient convent attached to the Church of the Frari. Since 1815 the complex built in the Cloister of the Holy Trinity, and in the Cloister of St. Anthony, has been home to the precious manuscripts of the Venetian Republic and also to thousands...

Ca' Foscari

A regal palazzo, built by the Giustinians at the end of the 14th – beginning of the 15th century. It was called the Palace of the Two Towers because of the two towers it had on its chimneypot. It was bought by the Republic in 1420 for the sum of...

Ca' Tron

Historians disagree on the region of origin of the patrician Tron family, but they all agree on the antiquity of its arrival. It seems that the Trons, together with other families, the church dedicated to St. Eustace in the year 966. The family who...

Carlo Goldoni house

Carlo Goldoni was born in the former Palazzo Rizzi, which then became Palazzo Centanni, in 1707. The palazzo is open to the public.

Palazzo Pisani-Moretta

The palazzo, built around 1460 by the Pisani family, is located in one of the most fascinating parts of the Grand Canal, between the Rialto Bridge and Ca’ Foscari. It is built in a developed Gothic style, and since the 16th century has been...

Scuola dei Calegheri

In the lunette of the entrance in the facade (1478) is “S. Marco che Guarisce il Ciabattino Ariano”, an early work by Pietro Lombardo. On the upper floor can be seen traces of a 14th- century affresco.

Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista

Founded in 1261 and underwent many interventions between the 14th and te 18th centuries. Inside can be seen a beautiful staircase by Mauro Codussi (1498). On the first floor are preserved works by Tintoretto and Sante Peranda. Among the remaining...

Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

A year after the death of St. Francis, in 1227, some of his most faithful follwers came to Venice, where they lived on alms and passed the days working in the vestibules of the churches, particularly those of St. Lawrence and St. Silvester. The...

Ca' Pesaro

It was begun to a design by Longhena in 1679, as can be read in Roman numerals above a notice held in the hand of one of the statues on the front, and was completed in 1710. However, it would seem that there existed in that area an older dwelling...

Chiesa di San Cassiano

Built in the 10th century, it was remodelled several times (and was also rebuilt after the fire of 1105, undergoing successive restorations in1205 and 1350), especially the interior. The exterior retained its look until the 19th century, when the...

Chiesa di San Giacomo di Rialto

The Venetians call it the Church of S. Giacometo because of its small size. It is considered the oldest church in Venice, and was first built by the vow of a carpenter in the time of the first arrivals on the island, in the 5th century. The present...

Chiesa di San Polo

The doges Pietro and Giovanni Tradonico founded the Church of S. Paolo, vulgarly called “S. Polo”, in 837. It is not known if this ancient church has ever been renovated or restored over the centuries, and it is perhaps because of this that...

Chiesa di San Silvestro

The chronicles report that Vittore, the son of the doge Orso I Partecipazio, who became patriarch of Grado in 884, was the priest of St. Sylvester, which confirms that this church existed before that date. It was founded by the Giulia, or Andrearda,...

Palazzo Mocenigo

In the “Contrada di S. Samuele” was born the partition of the patrician Mocenigo family in the “Casa Vecchia” and the “Casa Nuova”. The first of the two branches was so named because, through the family divisions, it was the sole owner...

Scuola Grande e Chiesa di San Rocco

The church was built on a model by the Bergamascan Bon, the first of the Procuratori of St. Mark’s. It was begun in 1489 and consecrated in 1508. Of the original building only the apses and the sculptures remain; the rest was rebuilt by...

Suggested Routes


Zone: | | |

S.Simeone, Frari, San Rocco, S.Margherita, S.Nicolò dei Mendicoli, San Sebastiano


Zone: | |

Rialto, S.Aponal, S.Maria Mater Domini, S.Giacomo dall’Orio